Husband takes children overseas; mother files for divorce

A man violated a standing custody order and took his three sons with him when he went to Saudi Arabia. The woman who he is married to says that she is tired of being married to this man, and she has decided to file for divorce. During the split, she is hoping to get both alimony money and health insurance that can be used by her or any of the boys. The couple was legally married in 2004.

The woman has been going to New York to talk with officials at the Saudi consulate. So far, she has reported that her meetings with them have not gotten her any closer to her sons. She has done a few things to try to get them back, including starting a petition on the Internet, emailing the White House and things of this nature. There is an FBI warrant out for his arrest, and, if caught, he would face charges of international kidnapping.

Now that she has filed for divorce, she and her attorney have to figure out exactly how they are going to tell her husband about it. They first plan to use certified mail to send the documents to him, hoping that they will get through to him. Their backup plan is to contact news sources in Saudi Arabia to post a message to him in that way.

The legal issues that surround a divorce can be complicated when it involves people in two different countries. It is crucial that those who are involved in such a case take the time to look into what rights they have, both at home and abroad.

Source:, "Lycoming mother files for divorce from husband who took sons to Saudi Arabia" John Beauge, Apr. 02, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions