Make sure your child custody agreement is valid during travel

International travel for youngsters can seem like a positive choice for divorced parents; why not take advantage of an opportunity for your kids to become more worldly? Although traveling abroad with a New York ex-spouse may seem appealing for children, it is important to scrutinize international travel. If you had a difficult divorce with your ex -- and if that person has continued to violate child custody requirements -- he or she could have nefarious intentions.

Even if your ex is not a native of a foreign country, he or she could be intending to take your youngsters to the other side of the globe and then disregard American legal mandates. This can be particularly difficult because stateside parents have little recourse and no ability to contact their children. Settlement and child custody agreements are almost unenforceable overseas.

Luckily, there are some steps you can take to prevent your ex from absconding with your child. A surety bond known as a "Ne Exeat" can be obtained. That bond is designed to guarantee that the traveling parent will abide by American custody agreements. The traveling parent must pay and post a Ne Exeat bond before travel is allowed. The bond amount is generally related to the estimated amount that the stateside spouse would spend if international legal action was initiated.

Additional options can also be pursued through the State Department for parents who believe their ex may attempt to circumvent child custody rules through international travel. Measures can be taken to prevent children from obtaining passports without both parents' permission, for example. Parents are also encouraged to continue communication with their kids through Skype or other means throughout the international trip. Ultimately, proper documentation and preparation can prevent international abduction.

Source: Forbes, "Divorced Women: Take Precautions Before Your Children Travel Internationally With Your Ex-Husband" Jeff Landers, May. 06, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions