Attention deficit disorder and child custody arrangements

Those who get divorced from someone who has attention deficit disorder (ADD) or the closely-linked ADHD, may find that the issues that they had dealing with that person do not come to an end just because a marriage does. In fact, there are some ways in which the disorder can be harder to deal with after splitting up, especially when it comes to child custody arrangements. It is important to keep a few things in mind while looking into the legal side of setting up an arrangement that will work in New York.

First, parents may want to have duplicates of many of the child's belongings. One set can be kept at the mother's house, and the other can be kept with the father. This way, if the ex-spouse forgets to send something important along when visitation switches hands, it does not matter as much.

Furthermore, it can be a good idea to use an email or a text message as a gentle reminder about what the child is supposed to have. If they go away for a few days and they are about to come back, the spouse can be reminded with a short list of all of the items that needs to come back with the child.

The spouse who does not have ADHD also simply has to realize a few things about the situation. For example, he or she will likely have to take charge of a lot of the management decisions. Also, making sure that the child has and turns in his or her homework is just going to be tough at times. Having the right mindset can help someone know these challenges are coming so that they are ready for them.

Source: The Huffington Post, "8 Strategies for Dealing with an Ex- with ADHD" Kate Roberts, Jul. 10, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions