Compassionate About People. Passionate About The Law.

Consider a modification to your New York child support order

Manhattan is an expensive place to raise children. It is difficult enough when there are two parents in a family, but one-parent homes only have one income to live on -- and with child support -- maybe one and a quarter. While that may be tough, the parent paying child support is also living on less.

So what if the child support you are receiving, or the child support you are paying is not a fair amount? Is there anything you can do about it?

It is possible to have a child support order modified if there is good reason to do so. When child custody is ordered by the judge, he or she should be taking both the mother's rights and the father's rights into consideration. In today's world, most judges prefer parents to share equal custody of their children if that is possible. Children seem to benefit most from having equal relationships with both parents.

Child support is based on many different things. In New York, the courts look at the income of both parents and the number of children each parent is caring for. They figure the child support for each child by a percentage of the combined income, and then base the amount of support to be paid by the noncustodial parent per the percentage of income he or she contributes to the combined amount.

What would qualify for a modification? Certain factors could be considered by the court as a reason for a modification: a job loss, a reduction of income by the payer or payee, custody changes, increased or decreased needs of a child, a disability and a variety of other things. A modification can be requested by either party. If both parties agree on a modification, it must still go before the court.

If you believe a child support modification is needed in your situation, you should contact an attorney, who can go over it with you. The most important thing is to be able to convince the judge that there is a good reason to modify the original order. This is where your attorney will be your biggest asset.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Super Layers
  • AV | Martindale-Hubbell lawyer ratings
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • G
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us For The Answers You Need Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation with Mr. Greenberg, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by e-mail.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law