What do you do if you receive a divorce/dissolution petition?

Whether you know that it's imminent or not, being served with a divorce/dissolution petition can be a devastating experience. These petitions generally include the petitioner's requests for child and spousal support, child custody and property division as well as why the petitioner is seeking to dissolve the marriage.

It's essential to contact a New York family law attorney, if you haven't already, before you answer the petition. The answer generally just acknowledges that you've received the petition and states whether you agree or disagree with the various statements and demands outlined in it. You may also provide explanations for your answers, with supporting information, as well as demands of your own. Often a pre-printed answer form is provided for you to do that.

Just as with any other type of lawsuit (which a divorce/dissolution petition is), you will have a limited amount of time to respond to the petition without forfeiting some of your rights. Generally, the petitioner gives the respondent about a month to do that.

If you don't answer the petition, your spouse can enter a default with the court. That means that as the respondent, you have forfeited your right to contest the divorce unless you provide legal justification for setting aside the default.

The preferable course of action is to respond to the petition as quickly and thoroughly as possible to protect your rights and have the best chance of getting the child custody, assets and support you need. Your New York family law attorney can work with you to draft a thorough response to the petition and to help you through the divorce process.

Source: FindLaw, "Answering the Divorce/Dissolution Petition," accessed Nov. 03, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions