Parental alienation syndrome, yes it is a thing

Are you a Dad who struggles to get time with your children because of your ex? This is a sad reality for many fathers in the state of New York. Parental alienation syndrome is a thing, and if you think your child may be suffering with it or fear he or she may, you can do something about it.

Child custody orders are not always the easiest things to follow. Life happens, and sometimes adjustments are necessary. However, when one parent is purposely keeping children from the other that is a problem, but it happens.

Custody interference

Many fathers in the state have shared custody or at least visitation rights. This means that they are guaranteed time with their kids. When the other parent refuses time, this is called custody or parenting time interference. There are two types of parenting time interference: direct and indirect. Examples of direct interference include:

  • Not bringing a child to the scheduled visitation time
  • Repeatedly cancelling visitation or custody time
  • Moving a child without permission

There are many more, but you get the gist. It has to do with not allowing or reducing the physical time a parent and child have together. Examples of indirect custody interference include:

  • Disrupting communication
  • Frequently talking badly about the other parent to children
  • Asking children to spy on their other parent

Again, there are many other examples that could go on this list.

What to do

If you believe that your ex is purposely keeping your kids from you, is turning your children against you or preventing you from communicating with your kids, you may take the issue to court. If you have court ordered custody or visitation, your ex cannot do this to you without consequences. If you do take the issue to court, a judge may grant you make up visitation days or a new custody order. In extreme cases, your ex may be arrested.

Don't have to do it alone

Sometimes, as a Dad, it is easy to feel that the world is against you. It is easy to feel that there is no one out there rooting for you or fighting for you. That is not true. There are those who are ready and willing to help you fight parental alienation and help you maintain contact with your children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions