What do you do if you need to change a parenting plan?

When parents set up a parenting plan, it's normal to see the occasional change needing to be made. A child might get sick, or an event may come up that only happens once a year.

If there are changes that have to be made, both parents should talk to one another and discuss how the visitation schedule can be altered. For example, the parent who normally has the child on a Wednesday may trade days with the other parent to give the child time to go to a special event. If a child is sick, one parent may take over custody while the other goes to work or rearranges their schedule to assist.

What can you do if the other parent isn't being flexible?

The reality is that the only plan that has to be adhered to is the one that is approved by the court. However, most people realize that changes may be necessary here and there.

If the other parent won't be flexible at all, you should have other options available to you. For example, if your child is sick, you should have relatives or caregivers you can call to take over while you're at work. Similarly, if there is a special event that you know the other parent may not agree to, you may be able to have a more positive experience if you can get the event moved (like in the case of visitors coming into town to see your family) or by notifying the other parent many weeks in advance, so they aren't caught off-guard.

Communication is key in most cases, but if the other parent won't budge, you may be able to seek help from a judge.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent®
  • Marquis Who's Who
  • Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
  • American Bar Association | Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
  • G
Get Answers

Contact Us For The Answers You Need

Attorney Philip A. Greenberg represents clients in New York and New Jersey. To schedule a consultation, call 646-363-6807 or contact him by email. He can meet with you in his Manhattan office or in a location convenient to you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Philip A. Greenberg, P.C., Attorneys at Law
10 Park Avenue
Suite 2A
New York, NY 10016

Phone: 646-363-6807
Fax: 212-279-0466
Map & Directions